I think the term, the "ME generation," was first coined in the late 1980's, and, in my view, it still flourishes today in the year 2007. I think, when a person has to pay to put AIR in the vehicle tires...is about the time the real greed began in this country! Some places can't even offer free air, as a courtesy, for the consumer anymore. There used to be a time back in the Dark Ages (1980's/1990's) when a person could get a document notorized in a bank for free! Not any more...those days are gone. In the corporate world of greed in the year 2006...all of us have to pay to play, etc.
* Jails/prisions: Are filled across the country with selfish/greedy people who want the easy way out. They steal; lie; write bad checks; commit fraud and no telling what else...just to get THEIR way! With all the people in prison are NOT guilty of anything...it's always somebody else's fault that they're doing time!
* Corporate greed: Have you put gas in your vehicle lately? Have you bought groceries lately? Have you gone to a department store or to the mall lately? Have you saved or can you save any money for a rainy day or for your retiremement? It's the same old broken record, of greed all across the country. Unless you live in a cave someplace, you've heard of the Enron scandal, where thousands of workers lost their jobs, and their savings, too! Can anyone of us trust a corporation anymore? They're all in it...utilities; phone companies; retail; groceries; pharmaceuticals are the worst behing big oil; banks; service companies...selfish and greedy all of them!
In a recent story in the newspaper...the Office of Senior Affairs reported that, a majority of the baby-boomers, elegible for retirement in the near future...will retire POOR! I believe it! A person can't survive anymore with all the corporate greed around, and can't save for the future, either! So, what else is new...except greed!
* Medical costs; Enough to make you sick, right? Medical costs have been forgotten by the Congress. Because I'm a veteran, I have no idea what medical costs are these days, but I know it's an outrage! But, what is disturbing to me, is that the Congress and the President don't even want to address the high cost of medical care these days. If I had to pay for medical costs, I would be outraged!
* 'Irreconcilable Differences" In divorce, that's the fancy term for selfishness, in my view. I'm not a marriage counselor or social worker, but I don't think it takes a rocket scientist, to see that many marriages in this country are going to fail. And, I think the main reason for divorce in this country is selfishness on both sides of the marriage...the husband AND and wife! Children learn to be selfish from their parents...so, add selfish children to the formula and you have a toxic mix for disaster!
* Rude/selfish drivers: Does it get any worse, than having to drive around with rude/selfish drivers and who are a danger to everyone? And, the sad part about it, is the fact that they seem to be everywhere! I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, which has a metro population of about 500,000 residents, and there are about 130 schools in the district.
Today, many cities and schools, are using all the new technologies available to deal with traffic, like cameras and radar at intersections and school zones. There was a recent story in the newspaper, stating that the new technology was installed at one of the school zones, and a whopping 3,000 tickets were issued by police for speeding in a school zine...all in just ONE week! What will the number of tickets issued by police and the school district be when there are cameras at all the intersections and school zones. Speeding drivers are rude; dangerous; inconsiderate and selfish!
* Singles club: I'm a member of a 600 member singles club, and the obvious purpose is for me to go out and enjoy myself, take a little wax off the dance floor...meet people, etc. One night, I was sitting at the bar, and a woman came over and sat next to me. We exchanged pleasantries, and if I could have looked into my crystal ball to see what was coming, I would have never talked to her.
I shouldn't have given this woman so much of my time, but for the next 30 minutes, this woman started talking and talking and talking and talking and talking and talking...of course about herself...and of course about her kids...and because she was a school teacher...about her students! Whew!!! Her little "getting acquainted" session was one beg "run on" sentence, and I don't think she took a breath during this 30 minutes! She couldn't talk about herself fast enough, and I don't remember getting in a single word!
Talk about a motor-mouth! This woman was rude; inconsiderate and SELFISH! After this display by her, I got my drink and moved to another part of the Club. And, as soon as I did she turned to the fellow on the other side of her and started on him! (poor fellow). I could see one reason why this woman was single.
I've been in the humor business for over 40 years of my life, and I've never had trouble making friends. If I make somebody laugh...I have a friend! As the selfishness continues in relationships, and even acquaintences, I don't want to make friends anymore...and that's by choice! If I speak to somebody...all I hear is ME; ME; ME...MY WORK; MY KIDS; MY LIFE; MY ILLNESSES...ME!
Because of this, I've distanced myself from people over the past few years. I have not become a recluse or a wall-flower in doing this, but I just don't want to be around people anymore. People bring their problems with them...they whine about their dispicable lives.
Today, relationships (of any kind) are not what they used to be. ..friendships; neighbors; fellow-employees; acquaintances; business; romance, and even family. Un-selfish people are hard to find these days.
What ever happened to sharing? What ever happened to balance in a relationship? What ever happened to give and take in a relationship?