In a little more than a decade, I've been laid off from six jobs, for a variety of reasons such as companies closing; defense cuts; out-sourcing; down-sizing and so forth. During this dreadful time in my life, I have had to work as a temporary employee longer than I would have liked, until a regular job came along. Because of this, I have worked at over 15 different companies.
During this time, I have worked at my share of negative compnies, and I didn't like it at all. I remember one place I worked for about three months, the supervisor was as negative as a person gets, and I didn't like him at all. And, neither did his employees! He was one of those people with an attitude problem..."my way or the highway," or love it or leave it! One of those controlling type of guys...you know the type.
After a few weeks on the job, I noticed that the employees were good workers; had good attendance; worked long hours if they had to; they produced quality work with teamwork and so forth. One day, the supervisor called us all to a meeting, which was my first at the company, and I was so upset because this jerk focused on the negative instead of the positive. All he talked about was all the things the employees were doing wrong...mostly petty things...that should have never been discussed...and it looked to me that he was "looking for something" to complain about...you know the type!
During the meeting, he never once focused or mentioned on the positive contributions made by his employees; their good work; their good attendance; working overtime...NOTHING! I don't think there was anybody in the company who liked this guy because of the way he treated people...like dirt! His name was "Gustavo," and the employees called him, "Gustapo," which was fitting. He couldn't understand why the morale was so low in his department...and he was one of the main reasons!
Another temporary assignment, brought me to another work place and another negative environment. I had to work with this dreadful woman that was one of the most difficult people I have ever had to work with. She was a chronic whiner; a chronic complainer; put down everyone in sight; nothing was ever right with her; her personal life was a mess and I knew from the time I got there, I would not be working with her very long, etc. This was a woman with a lot of hate in her...hate she had acquired since child-hood. She had to get some therapy and counseling to get rid of some of that hate she had in her. She was so awful to be around, that, what was supposed to be a long-term assignemnt, lasted only two weeks. I had to quit and go someplace else!
As I said before, I have zero tolerance for negative people, which I describe, in part, as the following:
* People who are always trying to find something negative in others. Many times finding "petty" things to criticise.
* People of put-down, when they get a laugh at somebody else's expense, and they make no
apologies about it.
* Many negative people are so-called "experts" at everything, who know how best to run
your life; raise your kids; mow your lawn...you know the type.
* People who always talk about what they CAN'T do, instead of what they CAN do.
* Whiners and cry-babies who blame everyone for their troubles...their mistakes...their
short-comings. They spend a lifetime in denial about everything.
In just about everything I do...if something negative happens to me, I alway think something positive will come out of it. One of the best examples I can think of that could have been a life-saver, was when I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. I finished shopping, and got into the car, and began to drive out about 5 miles an hour in the parking lot. As I was driving out of the parking lot, I noticed something was wrong with the front end, so I stopped right away. I got out of the car, and to my surprise, the left front tire collapsed right in front of me! I've never seen anything like this before, and my immediate thought was..."more expenses," and I was upset about that!
On the positive side of things, I was very LUCKY, because that tire blew while I was moving slowly in a parking lot, and if this would have happened out in the streets or on the freeway, I wouldn't be writing about it! When I went to the tire store to replace the tire, the salesman told me that was one of the worse tires he had seen that had ruptured! After the incident, I felt lucky, and I didn't care about the expenses, and I replaced all four tires on the car and I was happy to do so!
* * *
Another example of a negative turning into a positive, is when I quit smoking in 1970. The negative thing that happened to me, was I got sick as a dog with the stomach flu! I couldn't keep anything down and my voice was reduced to a whisper because of the terrible chest congestion! After two weeks of this, the last thing I wanted was a cigarette...and because of this...it laid the foundation for me to quit smoking. On the positive side of things...getting sick was one of the best things that happened to me...as I went on to quit smoking ten months later. I tried to quit smoking two previous times and failed, but the flu helped my with the start I needed to quit for good! YAHOO!
Over the years, I've met many positive people, who I think are such a joy to be with and have them around. What I like in positive people follows:
* I like to be around people who give more than they take.
* I like to be around people who are winners in their occupation or profession.
* I like to be around people who are "doers" with a "can do" attitude and are accomplishing
something in life.
* I like to be around people who are honest and trustworthy, with integrity and values.
* I like to be around people with a strong work ethic; are hard workers and like to do the job
* I like to be around people who are responsible; care about others; care about the
environment; children; women; senior issues; pets and wildlife.
* I like to be around people who are good at what they do, and can inspire people to be good
at what they do.
* I like to be around people who have over come challenges and obstacles in their life and
try to accomplish their goals.
* I like to be around people who start a job...and finish it!
* I like to be around people who take responsibility for their mistakes and shortcomings, and
blame nobody but themselves.
* And finally, I like to be around people with a sense of humor.